DNS-over-TLS Implementation Status
This table lists the best understanding of the current status of DNS-over-TLS related features in the latest stable releases of a selection of open source DNS software.
If there are errors or glaring omission please email email@example.com
This works with a couple of provisos:
- Be aware that a client will think it is talking to a DNS-over-TLS server and so may keep connections open when idle even when not using EDNS0 Keepalive (as allowed by RFC7858 ). The nameserver will see only TCP connections which were historically used just for one-shot TCP and may not be robust to many long-lived connections.
- Therefore this will work much better if the nameserver has robust TCP capabilities (as described in Sections 6.2.2 and 10 of RFC7766), and would be required for production level service. Any server that fully implements EDNS0 Keepalive (RFC7828) should meet this criteria.
See the DNS Privacy reference material page for more details on the individual features.
Recursive resolver (forwarder)
|TCP fast open(b)||9.12|
|Connection reuse (Q/R, Q/R, Q/R)|
Pipelining of queries(Q,Q,Q,R,R,R)
|Process OOOR (Q1,Q2,R2,R1)||n/a|
|TLS encryption (Port 853)|
|TCP fast open**||9.12|
Process Pipelined queries
|TLS encryption (Port 853)||(d)|
|Provide TLS auth credentials||(d)|
|TLS DNSSEC Chain Extension|
|EDNS0 Padding (basic)||9.12|
- Green square - indicates latest release already supports this functionality
- Blue square - indicates that a patch is available in our git repo. See here for details: DNS-over-TLS patches
- Yellow square - indicates work in progress, or availabe in next release
- P - Requires building against a patched version of libunbound
(a) getdns uses libunbound in recursive mode
(b) not yet available on Windows
(c) Implies robust TCP connection management (see RFC7828 and RFC7766)
(d) See this article for how to use stunnel with BIND to provide DNS-over-TLS - thanks Francis Dupont!
Note pipelining and OOOP are not applicable for synchronous applications.
Android plans to support DNS-over-TLS in an upcoming release.
|iOS||Work in underway on an iOS app, however it is currently blocked by an implementation restriction.|